Go with your first instinct, your first response … and write like crazy for five minutes. Feel free to change the pronoun. If the prompt says “I,” change it to he/she/we/they/Clara/Henry or whatever bubbles up. Start a short story; write a poem or a list; try a newspaper article or a letter to a friend–anything that strikes your fancy … JUST WRITE! And let me know how you did!
- Write about walking through a cemetery.
- Write about meeting someone for the first time.
- “Long afterward, I came upon it again …”
- Someone is calling your name
- For as long as “she” lives (and probably longer), she will never forget his face …
- You eavesdrop on a conversation. What do you hear?
- Write about a bruise.